Search This Blog

Monday 29 August 2011

Password Cracking tools

As I promised in my earlier post, I will be blogging about the top 9 password cracking tools.

1) Cain and Abel

Cain and abel is my favourite password cracker. Besides password cracking, it can also sniff the network for passwords, use ARP poisoning attacks, dump the Protected Storage etc. Linux users often think that hacking tools, the best hacking tools, support their OS, but Cain and abel is a glaring exception.

2) Ophcrack

Ophcrack is an easy to use password cracker. I have already made a tutorial on how to use it, please do check it out.

3) Brutus

Brutus is an online remote password cracker, it can be used to crack http, telnet, ftp etc passwords using brute force or dictionary attack.

4) John the ripper

John the ripper is a fast, cross platform password cracker. Frankly, I'm not so adept at using CLI(Command Line Interface) tools, so I don't really like John the ripper. I've heard its quite fast though.

5)LOphtCrack

LOphtCrack has many ways of generating password guesses like brute force, dictionary attacks etc, however you might want to take a look at an alternative like ophcrack as LOphrCrack isn't free.

6) THC hydra

THC hydra can be used to crack WEP,WPA etc passwords, quite a good tool, also provided in Linux Backtrack OS.

7)Rainbowcrack

Like ophcrack, rainbow crack uses rainbow tables, but it uses a CLI, unlike ophcrack, which uses a GUI. So I prefer ophcrack.

8) Aircrack

One of the fastest WEP/WPA password cracking tools available now.

9)Airsnort

Another WEP/WAP password cracking tool.


No comments:

Post a Comment